Denon DP-29F Turntable Review
Turntables have been around for quite a while, and in their long life, they have become more than just a piece of equipment designed to play music. These systems are beautiful works of engineering built to do far more than they were initially expected.
A Turntable For The Average Joe
Even the most basic turntable comes with features that enhance the quality of the music, giving it more depth and dynamism. The DP-29F turntable from Denon is fairly basic in terms of looks, however, it does have all the features needed to enable the owner to listen to his favorite records without any issues.
- Size – the DP-29F measures 14.1 x 14.2 x 3.8 and weighs 6.2 pounds, making it one of the lighter models of turntables;
- Die-cast platter – The platter of the turntable is made of die-cast aluminum for increased rigidity and stability, ensuring that your system will never skip a track;
- Automated – The DP-29F features an automated system that enables the user to start or stop playing a record with the touch of a button. Moving the tonearm manually is not required. Furthermore, when all the tracks on a record have been played, the tone arm automatically returns to its initial position;
- Phono equalizer – The integrated equalizer allows the owner to connect the system to an external amplifier that does not have an equalizer;
- Included MM cartridge – The system comes with a high-quality MM cartridge so that you can start listening to records after only a short setup process.
- Quality servo – The turntable’s platter is driven by a DC motor that supports both 33 1/3 RPM, as well as 45 RPM;
- Automated tone arm – While placing the tone arm on the record can sometimes add to the magic of listening to vinyl, it can quickly turn into a chore. The automated tone arm of the turntable automatically moves into position once the button to start playing music is pressed, and return to its initial state after the record has finished playing;
- Affordable – While the DP-29F does not have a large number of features, it does have everything needed in order to beautifully play your vinyl collection;
- Included cartridge – The MM cartridge saves the owner some money and allows the turntable to work almost right out of the box;
- Integrated Phono Equalizer – the integrated equalizer is great for those who already have an amp without an equalizer and do not want to buy another one;
- Not pretty – The DP-29F is a great turntable, however, it’s not the prettiest model on the market. The materials that it is made from look cheap, regardless of how durable or high-quality they are. This is definitely not a great display piece;
- No auxiliary audio output or integrated speakers – Eve for a basic model, the turntable could have definitely used a way to connect headphones to it for a private listening session, or a pair of integrated speakers to enable the user to listen to music without having to connect it to external speakers or a home sound system;
- No USB port – There is no way of connecting the turntable to a computer or a of plugging an USB stick into it;
Denon has done a wonderful job with the DP-29F. The turntable is an attractive choice for people who do not have nor necessarily want a vinyl collection. It is a basic system that gets the job done and, while it may not look spectacular, it does play records beautifully. The sound is clear, it does not skip tracks, and it can last for quite a while if properly maintained.